Monday 22 June 2009

Deutsche Dogs

Europe plundering Vikings, the muddy yards of pig farms in the Bavarian highlands and the Grand Duke of Weimar have all contributed to an eclectic array of canines pawing the broken bottle confetti strewn streets of Berlin.

Boxer, Rottweiller, German Shepherd, Great Dane, Weimaraner, Doberman, Leonberger, Poodle (dubious, it HAS to be French), Schnauser, Pinscher, even the Hot Dog - all Germanic inventions. The mongrels here are equally impressive. I’m partial to the fact that with many you can distinguish a Leonberger as their long lost, great grandfather - it’s just detectable, like Ben Stiller’s Jewish ancestry.

Below you can find some of the aforementioned and additionally some dogs that have caught my eye during my time in the city so far. All these were captured on the somewhat inept - almost souvenir like rarity of Apple stepping a foot wrong - IPhone camera. 


The Great Dane of Gorlitzer Park

 A mongrel looking less than impressed with the seating arrangements on the U8

The "about-to-kick-off" dogs(Ha. I meant "Kick-off" as in  go loopy at a passing, just after I took the photo, at a heel-dragging Spanial. Now you, no I mention it, they do also look like they are about to kick off, and are waiting for the referee's whistle)

So, is it Francois or Franz? Either way, I'm liking his style, liking his style... 

A well attired U-bahn pooch enjoying the cold floor of Berlinerstrasse

                                   A wee Weimaraner dealing with an itch in the distance

      A Paul Scholes - Leonberger. Beautiful dog. Wish I'd got a 
better pic as it passed me on a rare jaunt to Mitte

A Dulux dog at the Brewbaker micro-brewery. Which is perfectly located just over the river Spree, a short walk - that includes the Bear bridge - from my offices



A funny, little greedy dog that hangs out at an excellent Cafe near my work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment